5 STEPS TO GET THE AVPN CERTIFICATION
1) Review the rules lower: (basic requirements)
2) Complete the application, available online, click here
(only the complete documentation will be considered)
3) The completed documentation will be reviewed in Naples, Italy. The directory board will examine and approve or decline it . (This process is at least 30 days)
4) An inspection of the restaurant will be conducted for the approved application, by a delegate of the AVPN.
5) Upon approval the restaurant will receive the AVPN certificate and exterior signage. This process is at least other 30 days. Canada and the United States of America contact the VPN Americas, email@example.com .
Certify your pizzeria or restaurant and join the Associazione Verace Pizza Napoletana.
1. Wood-burning oven. The real Neapolitan pizza must be cooked in a wood-fired dome oven operating
at a temperature of about 900 F. Gas, coal, electrical ,or wood/gas combined ovens, while capable to
produce a delicious pizza, do not conform to the Neapolitan tradition and are not allowed.
2. Proper Ingredients: Only fresh, all-natural, non-processed ingredients (preferably imported from Naples or Campania region) are acceptable:
a. wheat flour type "00": highly refined flour which has been milled to standard "00" (doppio zero). A small amount of wheat flour type "0" (Manitoba) is allowed to be added providing the percentage ranges from 5 to 20%. This variation is dependent on the external temperature and is used to enforce the '00' flour and not replace it.
b. Fresh tomatoes: the following variations of fresh tomatoes can be used: "S.Marzano dell'Agro Sarnese-nocerino D.O.P"., "Pomodorini di Corbara (Corbarino)", "Pomodorino del piennolo del Vesuvio" D.O.P." Canned Peeled tomatoes: the recommended tomato is the "Pomodoro pelato S.Marzano dell'Agro Sarnese-Nocerino D.O.P.". If peeled tomatoes are used they should be strained, broken up and homogenised by hand. The use of fresh or industrially prepared "Roma" tomatoes ("pomodoro lungo tipo Roma") is allowed.
c. Mozzarella: Certified mozzarella di bufala campana D.O.P, mozzarella S.T.G. (see attached appendices for suppliers and technical details). Fior di latte: "Fior di latte dell'appennino meridionale D.O.P" or other certified 'fiordilatte'.
d. Extra Vergin Olive oil (EVO).
e. Basil: Fresh Basil must be used.
f. Cheese: Grated Hard cheese must be used Fresh Garlic
g. Origano: "Origanum vulgare" from the "Labiatae" family.
h. Sea salt
i. Yeast: Compressed yeast, biologically produced, solid, soft and beige in colour ,with quite an insipid taste and a low degree of acidity must be used. Yeast must be purchased in packages ranging from 25-500 grams. (Saccharomices cerevisiae) (See Italian Decreto Ministeriale. 21/03/1973 e 18/06/1996). The use of Natural yeast (Sour Dough) is also permitted.
j. All types of fat must be excluded from the dough.
3. Proper technique for the preparation of the dough. Hand-worked or low speed mixer (fork or spiral). No planetary or vertical mixers are allowed.
4. Proper technique for the preparation of the pizza. Opening the dough only by hand and slapping on the working surface, transfer of the pizza on a peel by hand and adjusting the shape, cooking on an oven with a temperature of not less than 900° F for a time not exceeding the 90 seconds.
5. Proper Equipment. A proper work surface (usually a marble slab), a wood or aluminum pizza peel to introduce the pizza into the oven and a long handle metal round peel to turn and remove the pizza from the oven.
6. Final Product. Pizza Napoletana must be not larger than 11 inches with a raised edge crust of about 1 inch and a thin center. The pizza should be soft and elastic, and easily foldable.
7. Documentation. A set of documents, pictures and video need to be provided to the Association for the first preliminary evaluation (see below).
8. Others. In case of multiple restaurants, each individual store is bound to uphold the standards of the Association and pay a correspondent membership fee. The membership does not automatically be extended to any new units opened subsequently the joining of the Association, nor the membership is transferable from one location to another. Rather, each individual location is evaluated and billed separately. An yearly renewal fee will be due at the beginning of each calendar year. In the event of non-compliance of these rules by one or more of the associated restaurants, the VPN Association maintains the right to suspend or rescind the membership on an individual or collective basis.
It is not possible to register on-line. All the documents will have to be mailed or e-mailed in order to submit a subscription request.
All the information is in the attached file to be downloaded. To clarify any doubt extra information can be obtained by filling out the following form in every field.